This post is about weird things that I really like. Not a complete list just a few I’ve been thinking about lately.
1. This is obvious but I love times and dates where all the numbers are the same. So my title is extremely exciting today! Since it’s 11-11-11 I of course have to do something really great today to celebrate. What I will do has yet to be determined.
2. I absolutely LOVE stepping on dried leaves. I will go out of my way if I see a dried leaf hanging out just waiting to be stepped on. There is just something about the sound and feel under my foot that I just find so satisfying. If you think I’m weird try it first and then see how you feel. I have discovered that while riding my bike running over dried leaves is nearly as fun. You can’t really feel it but you can still hear it! ha! It’s goofy but this time of year I have a blast walking just about anywhere.
3. At night when I ride my bike I really like being able to see inside people’s houses. Hear me out, it’s not that I’m creeping or anything I’m just really curios about how other houses look inside. I like to see how they decorate, or if there is a super cool staircase, or parlor doors, any of the above. I just find it really fascinating. It sort of goes hand in hand with my next weird thing.
4. When I do get to go inside a house I’ve never been in I have this need to explore everywhere. This includes all the bathrooms, closets, the basement, pantry, you name it I want to see it. I recently stayed at a rental home that was a restored home from the early 1900′s. I was excited to see a note that said feel free to explore. I opened every door and drawer I could find! It was so exciting, I even found a couple of dresses in one closet that I tried on. I suppose I’ve always been very curious.
5. Since I was very little I’ve collected rocks. The difference between now and then is that I have a better filter. When I was little I remember filling a bag with rocks, insisting I be able to take it home and that I could carry it, and then getting very upset when I realized how heavy it actually was and it was either carry it or empty out the rocks. I guess I managed somehow because those rocks made it home. At this point in my life I no longer fill bags with rocks but I could search for rocks hours on end and not get bored. Sometimes I think I could have been an archeologist.
6. While rocks do tend to hold most of my attention when I’m at the beach I also really like looking for other treasures. A couple of Thanksgivings ago I went camping on North Padre Island with my boyfriend. When we got there they gave us a flyer of sea beans we might find while we were there. Sea beans are basically larger seeds that are carried by sea currants and wash ashore. Finding these beans became my mission while I was there. I looked and looked and looked. I was quite successful but of course my boyfriend joins me for 10 minutes and finds different and better ones. Go figure.
7. When I visit historic places I love looking for remnants such as pieces of pottery and tiles. I’m not often successful but I enjoy the hunt anyhow.
8. That reminds me! When I’m visiting historic places like forts or reconstructed villages I love the one cabin out back no one is watching. The one where you can pretend you live because there aren’t any ropes or chains to keep you from sitting on the bed or climbing up the stairs to the loft. Or like last winter I went to Greenfield Village with my dad and everyone had gathered in the square to watch the firework show and we walked way back to the farm house where there wasn’t much light and the snow wasn’t shoved and we sat on the porch and pretended we lived there. That was fun.
9. This should be higher in the list but here it is anyhow. I LOVE FRIES! I will eat just about any fries but during my love affair with fries I’ve really come to realize what my favorite kind of fries are. I’m a bit of a french fry aficionado. When someone says lets get a burger and fries I think, “what place has the best fries and I guess I’ll get a burger”.
10. While we’re talking about food I should mention here that I really like picked beets. I canned some last fall and I still have one jar but I’m waiting for just the right moment to open them and enjoy them on a salad or just my themselves. Here’s a little tip: if you like picked beets but don’t want to buy them and you can’t wait to can them you can get regular beets and cook them them drizzle them with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and it’s a pretty good substitute.
11. I love sharing all the weird things about me that I love! I hope you’ve enjoyed reading them. What are some weird things that you love?